Each NYSAND member makes a difference when speaking up for increased investments in food and nutrition research. As the experts, you can explain how the Dietary Guidelines for Americans can be made more valuable. And you can have an impact in overall public health by urging a better integration of the Dietary Guidelines in public programs and individual decisions.
Lawmakers want to hear from their constituents and they need to hear from experts in food, nutrition and health. Become a champion for nutrition and help to effectively advance nutrition care and services. Advocate and make your voice and the voice of your colleagues heard!
What do you need to know to get started?
- The Legislative Process
- How the Budget Process Works
- House Committees
- Senate Committees
- Tips for Success in Advocacy
- Helpful Links for Advocates
- NYS Senate
- NYS Assembly
- Voting in NYS
Training Materials and Correspondence Examples
- Sample Legislative Tracking Meeting Form
- Sample Election Congratulations Letter
- NYSAND Public Policy Infographic (PDF)
- NYSAND Public Policy Infographic (to be customized per district – PDF)
- 2021 Legislative Congratulatory Letter (word document)
This information was obtained through the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (www.eatright.org)